Saturday, July 23, 2005

Scientism: A fallacious 'philosophy'?

Through my journeys in philosophy the oddest proposition I've encountered was Scientism. I can understand that science as a methodology is intergal to the expansion of our knowledge, but Scientism goes further to state that all aspects of knowledge can be deduced scientifically.

Personally, I've never found this to be true for a couple reasons.

1) There are attributes in Nature[color, solidity of matter, and super conductivity] that are physically described, but not predicted in their respective sciences[although they are measureable empirically].

2) Certain attributes discussed within certain sciences have no material or physical nature[such as time, momentum, and strong force as examples].

I'm not down playing science, but it cannot describe emotions, colors, concepts, mental states and many more existents that we deal in everyday. I'm not arguing for Dualism or Qualia, but I am arguing for Reasonable Temperance based in fact and reason.

--Bridget

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home